Please Contact The Pharmacy 00353 42 933 1336 To Book Your Flu Vaccine.
What is influenza (flu)?
Influenza is a highly infectious viral illness of the respiratory tract that can be life-threatening.
Influenza affects people of all ages. Outbreaks of influenza occur almost every year, usually in winter. This is why it is also known as seasonal flu.
Who is eligible for free vaccination?
Administration of the Flu Vaccine is free to all Medical Card, Doctor Visit Card & HAA card holders who belong to one of the at-risk groups listed below.
Risk Groups Requiring Vaccine
- People aged 50 years or older
- People with chronic illness requiring regular medical follow-up, e.g.
- chronic heart disease (including acute coronary syndrome)
- chronic liver disease
- chronic neurological disease (including multiple sclerosis and hereditary and degenerative disorders of the central nervous system)
- chronic renal failure
- chronic respiratory disease (including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis, moderate or severe asthma and bronchopulmonary dysplasia)
- diabetes mellitus
- Patients with immunosuppression due to disease or treatment, including asplenia or hyposplenism, and all cancer patients
- Patients with any condition that can compromise respiratory function (e.g. spinal cord injury, seizure disorder, or other neuromuscular disorder) especially those attending special schools/ day centres
- Children and adults with Down syndrome
- Children with moderate to severe neurodevelopmental disorders such as cerebral palsy and intellectual disability
- Children on long-term aspirin therapy (because of the risk of Reye’s syndrome)
- People with morbid obesity (Body mass index >40)
- Residents of nursing homes, old people’s homes, and other long-stay facilities where rapid spread is likely to follow introduction of infection.
- Health Care Workers, both for their own protection and for the protection of patients who may have a suboptimal response to influenza vaccinations
- Household contacts of at-risk persons
- Out-of-home caregivers to at-risk persons
Backhouse Pharmacy’s Flu Vaccination service is available to everyone over 18 years old. All Pharmacists administering vaccines have completed comprehensive training and are fully certified to administer the flu vaccine.
Corporate Flu Vaccinations
Seasonal flu is a major cause of illness and absenteeism among working adults. 95% of all short-term absences in Ireland are caused by minor illness such as colds and flu. For most sufferers, flu symptoms will last for about a week, but a feeling of weakness can persist for some time, reducing individual productivity and increasing workload and stress. Flu vaccinations prevent flu in up to 90% of healthy adults aged less than 65. Flu vaccination represents a very cost-effective way of keeping employees at work.
If you are an employer and would like to receive further information, please contact us for further details.
71 Clanbrassil Street.Dundalk, Co Louth
00353 42 933 1336
00353 42 933 7431
Monday to Saturday | 9 am to 6 pm